Oral Health – Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling
It seems like everywhere you look you can find coconut oil products. Coconut can be used for cooking, health, beauty, cleaning, cleansing, and so much more. One of the many ways to use coconut oil, is oil pulling. While you can also use sesame oil, coconut oil has several unique properties—making it an excellent choice. If you are searching for a natural way to address oral health, heart health, allergies, and overall immunity, oil pull at least twice each week.
Coconut oil pulling is not as intimidating as it might sound at first glance. It is essentially swishing organic sesame or coconut oil in your mouth for targeted, or overall health and wellness. While you swish, the oil will remove bacteria and toxins. If you have ever purchased coconut oil, then you are familiar with how it is a solid at room temperature—and an oil when it reaches above 76 degrees. For this reason, it is best to dispose of your oil in a garbage bin, opposed to your bathroom or kitchen sink.
How Do You Oil Pull?
Oil pulling is easy. You can do it daily, two or three days a week, or for a week or two while addressing a specific health concern. Follow the simple steps below:
- First thing in the morning, before eating or drinking (water is ok) put 1 or 2 teaspoons of unrefined organic coconut oil in your mouth, solid or liquid—as the solid will quickly melt. You may even be able to find premeasured oil chews.
- Swish in your mouth like you would a mouthwash for 10 to 20 minutes. If it feels uncomfortable, start with 5 minutes, and work your way up to at least 10 minutes. Just don’t swish for any longer than 20 minutes, or your body will begin to reabsorb the toxins and bacteria being removed by the oil.
- While swishing the oil will thicken. This is normal, and is the result of mixing with your saliva. If it feels like you have too much in your mouth, reduce your measurement the next time you swish.
- After you desired swishing time, spit your oil out into a waste basket.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water to remove excess oil, and the toxins it carries.
- Brush and floss as normal. Or brush lightly to remove excess oil, then eat breakfast, and brush and floss as usual.
Why Should I Oil Pull?
There are many reasons to oil pull, but here are some of the top benefits. You might be surprised, but the benefits go far beyond oral health. Coconut oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial agent. It is also packed full of healthy anti-oxidant vitamins, and heart-healthy Omegas. Since oral health is directly related to heart health, oil pulling can be used to address both. This all-natural, ayurvedic alternative can be used to:
- Improve gum health
- Reverse tooth decay
- Prevent cavities
- Minimize tartar and plaque
- Soothe irritated gums
- Minimize hot/cold tooth sensitivity
- Minimize and prevent gingivitis
- Whiten teeth
- Kill bad-breath causing bacteria
- Kill fungus and candida
- Soothe dry mouth and throat
- Boost immunity
- Reduce inflammation
- Combat allergies
- Minimize acne
- Improve heart health
- Reduce risk for heart disease
Is Oil Pulling Safe?
Coconut oil is safe for consumption, and if organic and unrefined or virgin (aka. unprocessed) has no unnecessary chemicals. The oil is extracted from the meat of fresh brown coconuts and often used to cook with, or as an additive in skin care products.
As a natural triple threat (fruit, nut, and seed), it is safe to eat, drink, apply, and swish coconut oil. As with all foods and beauty products, your body may be more or less sensitive—but coconut allergies are rare. Always discuss your health and beauty routine with your naturopath, dentist, or alternative medical practitioner.
How Long Does It Take To Notice A Difference?
As with anything, you will not notice results on the first day—and swishing will take a few times to get used to. However, you will notice rapid results. It only takes a few days for your inflammation or bad breath drastically reduce. Allergies and acne will improve within a week or so, and teeth whitening and more severe health and cleansing will improve with consistent use over the first 3 to 4 weeks.
Coconut oil for pulling can be found at health food stores and most grocery store chains. Some people oil pull only when teeth are inflamed, or allergies are severe—while others make it a part of their daily routine. The choice is yours!